When it came to styling and organising Mum’s 2014 birthday party I decided to go rustic with a yellow and brown colour scheme, using a sunflower motif throughout.Birthday flowers in a pair of ceramic yellow welly boots. I spotted the boots lurking in the far recesses of a charity shop and gave the poor, elderly volunteer quite a shock as I let out a whoop of glee at their perfectness!
The weather was kind and people were able to sit out in the sunshine, enjoying the beautiful garden, whilst eating with friends.
The savouries table was set up in a farmers’ market style – guests were provided with brown paper carrier bags and invited to create their own picnic.
Freshly baked bread, crisp and juicy apples, a basket of speckled brown boiled eggs, cheeses wrapped in brown paper, pickles, miniature jars of chutneys, tiny tomatoes that burst in your mouth when you bit into them, and bunches of lively spring onions.
There was fresh cloudy lemonade, pressed apple juice and.lashings and lashings of ginger beer (2 kinds – one traditional, one ‘potent’, both brewed by Medieval) .
Paper fan decorations were simple to create and made an effective backdrop for this dessert table, which contained the following:
- Three cutting cakes (made by me)
- Dark Belgian chocolate shells containing Bailey’s and white chocolate cheesecake, finished with 100% cocoa chocolate drops (made by me)
- Coffee whips (not made by me)
- A variety of cupcakes: vanilla sponge with lemon buttercream, chocolate sponge with chocolate buttercream, mango and vanilla sponge, frosted with mango buttercream (all made by me)
- Pick ‘n’ mix sweetie jars containing mini gingerbread people, salted butter fudge, sherbet lemons, foam bananas and chewy caramels (none made by me)
- Handmade lemon flavour chocolate sunflower lollipops (made by me)
The beehive cake at the back of the table was a carved, five layer vanilla sponge cake filled and frosted with fresh mango Italian meringue buttercream, covered with fondant and finished with hand crafted bees
Three layer dense chocolate fudge cake, filled and frosted with softly whipped Madagascan vanilla Italian Meringue buttercream. Decorated with Belgian chocolate cigarellos, chocolate curls and chocolate letters. and finished with satin ribbon.
Three layer lemon Madeira cake, filled and frosted with fresh lemon Italian meringue buttercream. Covered with fondant and finished with hand crafted fondant sunflowers and satin ribbon.Everyone had a superb time and praise was heaped upon me in embarrassing quantities.
I was very pleased with how this all came together…so much had been learned from the first dessert table and this time the end result was much closer to the way I envisioned it.