That title could be interpreted either as a description of the cake, or as a description of what I did with the cake. Both interpretations would be appropriate.
The wrestling cake was originally going to be this shape, with piped royal icing creating the top design. I’d been thinking I really needed to practice my piping skills (those non-existent ones), hence the rather mad decision to pipe this intricate design.
All was going well. It was going far better than well. Far, FAR better. I’m telling you, I was the piping queen. I’m gutted I didn’t take pictures – lesson learned there about documenting the process and not just the finished products.
I’d just placed the near completed design on the shaped and covered cake and was preparing to do final touches when disaster struck; I managed to somehow joggle my own elbow (How? How does one even do that?!), and splashed black food colouring all over the bloody thing.
With the cake expected for my friend’s son the following day, and there being only 10 hours remaining of the night before I was expected at the day job, I was a little pressed for time. I could have tried re-piping it but this proposition seemed a trifle unrealistic considering the ruined one had taken me some 20+ hours of work to make. However, without the top decoration, the underlying cake shape didn’t make sense and I couldn’t work out, at such short notice, how to get the design on there. It definitely wasn’t going to work using fondant/gumpaste/modelling chocolate, and my painting skills don’t come anywhere close to being good enough to try free-handing it with food colouring (visions of Cake Wrecks danced in my head).